Soon, Moon, June, Tune
Soon school will be out
With that info let me shout:
“I’m over the moon with relief”
June 10th ushers in vacation–no more grading grief
I shall once again be in tune with my inner reader.
Lying in bed reflecting upon this last week of school that has finally arrived, I can say with conviction that I survived the year with more energy that I thought I would have. I woulc provide the gory details through a post highlighting my moments of frustration but why would I want to end on a note of downerism?
Instead, here are the upsides of my second year of teaching all seniors the joys of British/World Literature:
- They understand better why Shakespeare remains a presence in our world. Through Taming of the Shrew, Othello, and Hamlet, they learned that human interactions and issues haven’t changed much in 400 years.
- The discovered all kinds of heroes exist, not just ones romping around in Spandex on the screen.
- The realization that a popular movie franchise such as as Pirates of the Caribbean is based on an old poem called The Rime of the Ancient Mariner truly surprised them.
- They learned the cool and influential factor of queens Elizabeth and Victoria upon culture.
- And though it be a truth universally acknowledged, they now know more than they did before they first walked in my classroom door.
Yes, soon and moon and June and tune–school is almost out.