Ta-dah! This marks my fiftieth post and to commemorate the event here are some random fifty trivia bits.
1. This weekend my community celebrates Lost in the Fifties. It’s a weekend where people dress up in poodle skirts and 501’s and saddle shoes and watch a parade of old-time cars go by. There’s a street dance and a big dance at the fairgrounds with bands that are mock-fifty era sounding. Doesn’t sound like much, but it’s a biggie for tourist bucks. We even showed American Graffiti at the local stage theatre.
2. Of the fifty United States I’ve only been to about seven. Does airport transfers count? Then make it about a dozen.
3. I don’t like weather colder than the fifties. Forty-five is pushing my comfort zone.
4. If I could name my top favorite fifty books I would have to say To Kill a Mockingbird remains close to the top as my favorite reread. Which is saying something since I teach just about every year to ninth graders.
5. Should I set out to gather fifty quotes about reading, writing, and books I would include these gems:
- The best time for planning a book is while you’re doing the dishes. Agatha Christie
- The desire to write grows with writing. Desiderius Erasmus
- My ideas usually come not at my desk writing but in the midst of living. Anais Nin
- If the writing is honest it cannot be separated from the man who wrote it.Tennessee Williams
- The first step in blogging is not writing them but reading them. Jeff Jarvis
- I’m writing a book. I’ve got the page numbers done. Steven Wright
- Dreams are illustrations from the book your soul is writing about you.Marsha Norman
- Be obscure clearly.E.B. White
- The art of writing is the art of discovering what you believe.Gustave Flaubert
- Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. Isaac Asimov
6. Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover is one of Paul Simon’s songs that tends to loop in my brain now and then.